YOUR LIFE'S MISSION: POSSIBLE
You have goals, dreams, hobbies and things you’re passionate about.
What’s Important to You Is Important to Us
We’re looking for people who not only want to do meaningful, challenging work, keep their skills sharp and move ahead, but who also take time for the things that matter to them—friends, family and passions. And we're looking for team members who are passionate about our mission—making a difference in military members' and their families' lives. Together, we can make it happen.
Don’t take our word for it.
To provide expert advice, counsel, and litigation support regarding employment-related legal aspects of Navy Federal Credit Union, advising senior management and business units on a wide spectrum of legal issues relating to Navy Federal as an employer. To counsel on matters related to employment and benefits laws and regulations, federal and state regulatory agency issues, employment policies and practices, and dispute avoidance and resolution. To assist with responding to claims, legal demands, overseeing litigation, and managing outside counsel. To assist with other legal work of the Office of General Counsel, including reviewing and negotiating contracts.
1. Provides advice and counsel regarding all legal matters related to human resources, including policy development, strategic guidance, and defensive litigation.
• Working with Associate General Counsel, acts as liaison with Navy Federal’s human resources department to facilitate, improve, and strengthen operations’ decision-making through integration of legal analysis as part of the decision-making process
• Advises on legal issues across the full spectrum of Navy Federal’s employment and benefits policies and practices, including hiring practices, benefit plan changes, wage and hour matters, workplace safety, employee taxation, employee counseling, and workers’ compensation matters
• Ensures policies/procedures/processes comply with Navy Federal’s internal objectives and standards, protect Navy Federal’s business interests, and manage legal risks
• Identifies existing and new issues pertaining to corporate compliance with state and federal regulations to ensure necessary policies, strategies, and procedures are implemented
• Keeps the General Counsel and business units apprised of compliance and project status
• Responds to General Counsel and senior management requests for specific legal interpretation and/or the application of laws and regulations
2. Provides advice and support in credit union litigation
• Assists in supervising outside counsel by providing litigation support and appropriate counsel regarding Navy Federal’s position
• Monitors work performed by outside counsel and reviews associated billing
• Applies established legal principles and sound judgment to litigate consistent with the enterprise’s overall risk management
• Provides constructive legal plans to pursue the chosen solution
3. Initiates or supports assessments and contributes to the development and support of an appropriate internal control structure and risk management
• Focuses on making existing processes more efficient while continuing to comply with evolving laws and regulations
• Researches, evaluates and guides efforts to develop a comprehensive enterprise-wide system of reviews and tests to assure compliance with all applicable legislative and regulatory changes
• Analyzes the external (e.g., legislative and regulatory changes, competitors and economic trends) and the internal (e.g., existing Navy Federal policies and procedures, available resources and future direction/plans) environments to assist with establishing relevant objectives for the Legal Division, in association with the General Counsel and Senior Management
• Works with senior management to prepare, analyze, complete, and execute corporate-wide strategic plans, including the Annual Financial Plan
• Assists with tracking and evaluation of performance of the Office of General Counsel, including building metrics and identifying opportunities for cost control and revenue generation or recovery
4. Performs other duties as assigned or appropriate
• Assists in reviewing vendor contracts before and after execution
Qualifications - Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Juris Doctor from an accredited law school, fully accredited by the American Bar Association
• Licensed to practice law and in good standing with the bar of any state, and licensed or willing and able to become licensed to practice law as corporate counsel in Virginia, Florida, or both
• Experience working in a multi-functional legal area utilizing the application of good legal management principles and practices
• Employment law background with experience in administrative law, litigation, contract, and transactions
• Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership, negotiating, consulting, research, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
• Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple, high-priority projects with a keen attention to detail
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to present complicated legal analyses and conclusions clearly and concisely
• Demonstrated interest in business performance and improvement or entrepreneurship
• Experience with financial services industry or credit union operations
• Familiarity with Navy Federal’s objectives, functions, and policies
• 5 or more years of experience practicing employment law
• Prior in-house experience at financial institution
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Location: 820 Follin Lane, Vienna, VA 22180
Equal Employment Opportunity
Navy Federal values, celebrates, and enacts diversity in the workplace. Navy Federal takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, disabled veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans. EOE/AA/M/F/Veteran/Disability
Navy Federal reserves the right to fill this role at a higher/lower grade level based on business need.
Bank Secrecy Act
Remains cognizant of and adheres to Navy Federal policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.