YOUR LIFE'S MISSION: POSSIBLE
You have goals, dreams, hobbies and things you’re passionate about.
What’s Important to You Is Important to Us
We’re looking for people who not only want to do meaningful, challenging work, keep their skills sharp and move ahead, but who also take time for the things that matter to them—friends, family and passions. And we're looking for team members who are passionate about our mission—making a difference in military members' and their families' lives. Together, we can make it happen.
Don’t take our word for it.
To research, evaluate, design, implement, and maintain system and product solutions, applying knowledge of engineering principles. To provide technical direction and engineering support for projects and infrastructure. Develops basic knowledge of industry technologies/competition, concepts and trends.
Support the mainframe z/OS operating system environment and all the mainframe vendor products that are used for supporting both production and test environments. The z/OS System Engineer is responsible for maintaining the z/OS environment, which primarily includes: keeping the operating system and program products at their most current level, performance and tuning, debugging and troubleshooting system related issues, and providing technical support to the application development community. The candidate must have expert knowledge and hands-on experience, working with the latest generation of IBM mainframes, and the more recent releases of the z/OS operating system. The candidate must also provide expert guidance to the application development community and the data center operations staff, in all areas of operating systems functionality, as well as mainframe program products usage.
• Anticipate and adjust for potential impact
• Apply engineering principles to the design and enhancement of systems
• Document new system components, or modifications to existing components
• Ensure the security and integrity of system and product solutions
• Full life-cycle project management (See JD for details)
• Lead, guide and mentor less experienced staff
• Perform engineering tasks/assignments in support of business needs
• Perform research, procurement, deployment and configuration of systems
• Present clear, organized & concise information to audiences to enable business decisions
• Provide input and make budgetary recommendations regarding staffing and equipment
• Provide technical leadership in architecture discipline & development of IT solutions
• Perform other duties as assigned
• z/OS operating system installation and customization using the IBM Serverpac process
• Provide day to day operational support
• Program product (IBM and ISV) installation and customization
• Performance and tuning activities, which includes monitoring the system activities and making recommendations to the application developers on how to improve the overall performance of their application
• Works with minimal direction from the Service Manager and with business unit’s nominated representatives to accomplish assigned tasks
• Contributes to design for specific deliverables and assists in the development of technical solutions
• Participates as part of a team and maintains good relationships with team members and business units
• Uses knowledge tools and reuses information for the benefit of projects, support ticket resolution, and professional development
• Review and update the mainframe disaster recovery procedures as needed
• Apply operating system and program product fixes on a regular basis
• Analyze and debug operating system and program product related issues
• Provide technical input on best practices for operating system configurations, in areas of resiliency; manageability and performance
• Participate in Oncall Rotation (as required) for emergency technical support and planned maintenance activities
• Word processing and spreadsheet software skills
• Verbal and written communication skills
• Organizational, planning and time management skills
• Database and presentation software skills
• Research, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Engineering discipline
• Skill exercising initiative and using good judgment to make sound decisions
• Skill guiding and training less experienced staff
• Manage complex full life-cycle IT projects or teams to include cost/resource/time estimation
• Strong knowledge of z/OS operating system architecture, internals, operations, and recovery scenarios
• Storage management experience such as DFSMS or DASD
• Experience in the installation and customization of ISV products from Computer Associates; BMC; Compuware; Dino Software; and other Independant Software Vendors
• Ability to code user exits in either Assembler, REXX, or COBOL
• Experience with mainframe automation tools such as: AutoOperator, OPS/MVS, or AF/Remote
• Experience with various TCP/IP Mainframe networking configurations
• Hands-on experience with I/O configuration definitions using HCD
• Excellent debugging skills and expert knowledge of IPCS
• Working experience with major subsystems, such as: CICS, DB2, and MQSeries
• Must be familiar with mainframe performance and tuning best practices, as well as expert knowledge of various monitoring tools, such as: CA Sysview; Omegamon/MVS, Omegamon/CICS, RMF, and CMF
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Location: Winchester, VA -OR- Vienna, VA (HQ)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Navy Federal values, celebrates, and enacts diversity in the workplace. Navy Federal takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, disabled veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans. EOE/AA/M/F/Veteran/Disability
Navy Federal reserves the right to fill this role at a higher/lower grade level based on business need.
Bank Secrecy Act
Remains cognizant of and adheres to Navy Federal policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.