YOUR LIFE'S MISSION: POSSIBLE
You have goals, dreams, hobbies and things you’re passionate about.
What’s Important to You Is Important to Us
We’re looking for people who not only want to do meaningful, challenging work, keep their skills sharp and move ahead, but who also take time for the things that matter to them—friends, family and passions. And we're looking for team members who are passionate about our mission—making a difference in military members' and their families' lives. Together, we can make it happen.
Don’t take our word for it.
• Military Times 2021 Best for Vets Employers
• WayUp Top 100 Internship Programs
• Forbes® 2022 The Best Employers for New Grads
• Forbes® America's Best Employers
• Newsweek Top 100 Most Loved Workplaces
• Fortune Best Workplaces for Women
• Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®
• Computerworld® Best Places to Work in IT
To execute Navy Federal's financial accounting processes by applying federal and industry regulations and standards. Support the accurate reconciliation and maintenance of the organization's financial statements and reports. Works under minimal supervision and makes recommendations.
• Perform accounting activities to include review and analysis of financial statements, ledgers, reconciliations and associated accounts to ensure accurate application of industry standards
• Perform monthly close activities to include reviewing and monitoring entries to the Trial Balance, Balance Sheet and Income Statement accounts and posting of adjustments
• Perform account reconciliation, analytics and variance analysis, and provide sufficient supporting documentation
• Apply basic to broad knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) to the preparation of NFCU financial statements
• Ensure compliance with GAAP and ASC by applying accounting standards in the preparation of NFCR financial statements
• Identify simplifying assumptions and accounting methods and instances of incorrect application of GAAP/ASC; quantify the impact of such treatment and recommend solutions
• Lead and guide Accounting Technicians with proper classification of transactions and funds, and the resolution of misapplied funds or outstanding items
• Conduct in-depth analysis to identify, isolate and resolve discrepancies, and contribute to quality control and process improvement
• Investigate, resolve and/or escalate complex discrepancies, data entry errors and out of balance situations; prepare and present recommendations for immediate action or proposals for policy changes to prevent losses
• Provide guidance with inquiries and problem resolution
• Perform research to assist with responses to inquiries from internal and external auditors
• Perform variance analysis and generate reports including associated justification
• Identify and participate in process and automated improvement initiatives; assist with integration testing and present recommendations for implementation
• Mentor and guide Accounting Technicians with interface posting discrepancies and validating system generated reports
• Ensure compliance and keep abreast of emerging accounting policies/updates and assist with the maintenance of the Accounting Policy Manual
• Execute financial and operational controls as designed and according to the control descriptions
• Resolve moderately complex escalated discrepancies including guiding and/or negotiating with specialized internal and external contacts
• Evaluate impact of amended regulations; recommend and implement methods to ensure compliance
• Participate in task/project groups across department lines; assist with system design/development and participate in integration testing; communicate accounting knowledge and business processes
• Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field or the equivalent combination of experience, education and training
• Familiarity and understanding of the application of the rules of GAAP
• Familiarity and understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley(SOX) control environment and requirements
• Advanced skill in handling multiple tasks simultaneously with a high degree of accuracy
• Familiarity with PC applications to include Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Access and PowerPoint
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment to include mentoring/guiding teammates
• Ability to interact with external and internal contacts (e.g., auditors and other oversight groups to provide requested information/data)
• Basic analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
• Effective skill maintaining accuracy with attention to detail and meeting deadlines
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated intention to pursue or currently pursuing CPA certification
Desired Qualifications and Education Requirements:
• Advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field
• CPA certification highly desired
• Previous experience with credit union financials and/or NCUA regulations
• Working knowledge of Navy Federal organizational structure, products, services, policies and procedures
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Location: Headquarters - 820 Follin Lane, Vienna, VA 22180
Navy Federal is now hybrid! Our standard enterprise requirement for a hybrid schedule is to report on-site 4-16 days each month. The number of days reporting on-site will ultimately be determined by the employee's leadership and business unit needs. You will learn more throughout the hiring and on boarding process.
Navy Federal Credit Union assesses market data to establish salary ranges that enable us to remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range, based on your experience, location and market position.
Salary Range: $32.50 - $41.00 hourly
Equal Employment Opportunity
Navy Federal values, celebrates, and enacts diversity in the workplace. Navy Federal takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, disabled veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans. EOE/AA/M/F/Veteran/Disability
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
All employees are expected to follow our COVID-19 safety protocols.
Navy Federal reserves the right to fill this role at a higher/lower grade level based on business need. An assessment may be required to compete for this position.
Bank Secrecy Act
Remains cognizant of and adheres to Navy Federal policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.