YOUR LIFE'S MISSION: POSSIBLE
You have goals, dreams, hobbies and things you’re passionate about.
What’s Important to You Is Important to Us
We’re looking for people who not only want to do meaningful, challenging work, keep their skills sharp and move ahead, but who also take time for the things that matter to them—friends, family and passions. And we're looking for team members who are passionate about our mission—making a difference in military members' and their families' lives. Together, we can make it happen.
Don’t take our word for it.
• Military Times 2021 Best for Vets Employers
• WayUp Top 100 Internship Programs
• Forbes® 2022 The Best Employers for New Grads
• Forbes® America's Best Employers
• Newsweek Top 100 Most Loved Workplaces
• Fortune Best Workplaces for Women
• Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®
• Computerworld® Best Places to Work in IT
The Principal Engineer will serve as a subject matter expert and consultant for digital payments transformation initiatives at NFCU. The principal will be responsible for driving forward the implementation of real-time payments solutions and the migration of traditional payment rails to modern platforms. This individual will need to become very knowledgeable in our current on-prem mainframe batch processing core banking platform and make recommendations to solve problems with integrating with modern enterprise payment platforms. The Principal will be consulted on strategy, design, engineering, and integration efforts.
The Principal Engineer will provide technical expertise on real-time and batch processing payment systems as well as other technologies that are used to support or integrate with the current core banking and future cloud-enabled core banking platforms. This role will use engineering principles and technology to construct necessary systems to interface with new payment platforms as well as champion the proper usage of configuration and extensibility capabilities requiring close collaboration with architecture, platform, technology product, vendor, and other ISD teams. This person will interact with ISD, Digital Payments business unit leadership, and vendors to support the development of a roadmap that addresses the necessary milestones needed to support the implementation of new digital payment solutions.
• Lead development work streams to deliver technology solutions meeting business objectives.
• Prepare and present technical design specifications, requirements, and process flows using systems engineering best practices.
• Provide subject matter expertise for digital payments products driving decisions around configurability and extensibility options to satisfy current and future business demands.
• Drive the development and effective use of anchor platform technologies to support efficient and effective technology adoption to deliver optimal business outcomes.
• Perform fit gap analysis on technology options and provide recommendations supporting the transformation to modern payment systems.
• Collaborate with IT partners (Enterprise Architecture, Solution Architecture, Platform Development, Product Development) on the design, development, implementation, and upgrade of distributed and cloud systems.
• Work closely with business stakeholders and IT leadership to ensure optimal delivery of technology-driven business solutions.
• Support Core Banking Services, Digital Payments, and Product Engineering leadership with planning and development of the digital payments transformation roadmap.
• Support Core Banking Services leadership to ensure technical, cost, and schedule rigor on digital payments projects and deliverables.
• Partner with Core Banking Services leadership to build and maintain relationships with third-party vendors.
• Use holistic knowledge of the technology ecosystem and products to plan how new systems will be built and integrated.
• Implement integration plans and collaborate with testing teams to incorporate plans into integration testing process.
• Research, evaluate, recommend, and implement technology solutions that align to business needs and meets objectives.
• Provide detailed information for system selection, implementation techniques, and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs.
• Serve as an advisor providing advice and counsel on projects concerned with specialized or unique engineering requirements.
• Provide routine technical direction and leadership to other engineers and developers; serve as a coach and mentor.
• Mentor leadership and staff on technology best practices.
• Provide production support during planned releases, break-fix resolution, and critical incidents.
• Troubleshoot and resolve issues, work across teams to develop and implement solutions and provide technical support and consultation.
• Contribute to incident / problem root cause analysis.
• Monitor and analyze metrics to ensure optimal business and technical outcomes.
• Review solution to ensure alignment with business objectives, organization standards and guidelines, and industry best practices.
• Identify potential problems in design, quality, or operation and initiate corrective action.
• Identify opportunities to mitigate risk and improve functionality, performance, and security.
• Provide forward thinking technical expertise in current and emerging technologies, trends, and practices.
• Provide subject matter expertise in distributed and cloud technologies.
• Collaborate on the development and refinement of standards and best practices.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, related degree, or the equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
• Significant experience in one or more of the following: systems engineering, software engineering, information systems management, etc. at the enterprise level in a large multi-function organization, preferably at a large financial services organization.
• Significant experience and knowledge of software development practices including designing, developing, testing, debugging, and implementing distributed applications and systems.
• Significant experience with object-oriented programming languages with specific emphasis on Java.
• Significant experience with private, public and hybrid cloud infrastructure (e.g., Azure, AWS, Oracle Cloud, etc.).
• Significant experience in building and managing common platforms (e.g., ServiceNow, Pega, Dynamics, Salesforce, etc.).
• Significant experience with Agile software development practices.
• Advanced knowledge of databases, NoSQL systems, storage, and distributed persistence technologies.
• Advanced knowledge of continuous integration and deployment and tools (e.g., GIT, Jenkins, Maven, RunDeck, Terraform, Ansible, etc.).
• Advanced knowledge of discipline engineering principles, practices, and theories, and methods to identify and solve complex problems and perform sophisticated analyses.
• Advanced knowledge of system engineering design methods including requirements analysis and flowdown, specification derivation and interface control documentation.
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of the end-to-end IT process, including architecture, design & engineering, implementation, and operations.
• Significant experience in developing scripts or applications to automate systems implementation, configuration, or management.
• Advanced troubleshooting skills and ability to identify root cause of issues and provide solutions.
• Advanced knowledge of the product management lifecycle.
• Significant experience in cloud migration and engineering cloud-centric environments.
• Significant experience leading systems analysis, design, and architecture efforts.
• Significant experience with system architectures in a service-oriented and enterprise service business environment.
• Self-motivated and proactive, able to learn quickly and apply new concepts, tools, and applications.
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex system/integration problems through innovative solutions.
• Advanced problem solving, collaboration, critical thinking, team building, and presentation skills.
• Advanced skill applying innovative approaches to solve technical design issues.
• Expert verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Master’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related degree.
• Advanced knowledge of financial/banking industry standards, open banking standards, regulations, and practices.
• Advanced knowledge of Navy Federal products, services, programs, policies, and procedures
• Advanced knowledge and experience working with or implementing payment processing systems (e.g., ACH, Wires, RTP, Zelle).
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Location: 820 Follin Lane, Vienna, VA 22180 | 5550 Heritage Oaks Dr. Pensacola, FL 32526 | 141 Security Dr. Winchester, VA 22602 | Remote
Navy Federal is now hybrid! Our standard enterprise requirement for a hybrid schedule is to report on-site 4-16 days each month. The number of days reporting on-site will ultimately be determined by the employee's leadership and business unit needs. You will learn more throughout the hiring and on boarding process.
Salary Range: $109,900- $187,900 annually
Navy Federal Credit Union assesses market data to establish salary ranges that enable us to remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range, based on your experience, location and market position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Navy Federal values, celebrates, and enacts diversity in the workplace. Navy Federal takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, disabled veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans. EOE/AA/M/F/Veteran/Disability
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
All employees are expected to follow our COVID-19 safety protocols.
Navy Federal reserves the right to fill this role at a higher/lower grade level based on business need. An assessment may be required to compete for this position.
Bank Secrecy Act
Remains cognizant of and adheres to Navy Federal policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.